Wednesday, 9 June 2010

The blog has landed

Dear all.

As I am about to embark on a magnificent journey to be with my love and save the world, I thought I would embrace the medium of my generation and start a blog. The reason I am starting it now, about three weeks before I leave, is that last night I had the last major event before I leave, namely the summer concert of my choir. That means that the remaining time between now and the 29th will be focussed on getting ready logistically, mentally and socially to leave my home country for the foreseeable future. That has already sparked quite a lot of reflection, some of which I would like to share with you all, as well as keeping you updated on my progress.

The Background

To those of you who are not completely up to date as to what I am up to, here is the short version: When I went to Malaysia in the fall of 2009, I met a wonderful girl. She is living in Rome, and we have been seeing as much of each other as logistics and budgets have allowed. Now we have come to the conclusion that if we want to keep our sanity we have to be closer to each other. We started looking around for possibilities, and I was lucky enough to stumble on an internship position with FAO, working with carbon emission reduction and carbon finance in agriculture (more on this as time goes by, I promise :) ). That means that I have bought a one way ticket to Rome, given notice on my apartment and have had my public health insurance card (sygesikringbevis) revoked by the 29th of June 2010. As to when (or if) I am coming back to Denmark, there are a few scenarios which I will get into later, but there are no solid plans of return at the moment.

The form

I originally wanted to do the blog in danish, but since I have so many people abroad who I am sure would like to follow, and I didn't feel like translating everything, it had to be english. The title was thought of in danish though, so requires a bit of explaining. In danish the word for adventure and fairy tale is the same (eventyr), and since I feel this journey has many things in common, both with adventures (exploring unknown lands and myself) and fairy tales (finding love and fighting for it) I thought it was a very suiting title.
I plan to used this blog as part diary and part group letter. as such is going to have a quite personal character, and I would appreciate the link not being spread too widely. However if someone should have slipped my mind who should have had an invitation, please let me know :).

I hope this will be a hub for communications with many family members and friends from around the world as time goes by, and that many of you will identify yourselves, so I have and idea who follows the blog.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Well, continue it, damn you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah I know. I was a bit slow. But I expect to be picking up the pace from now on :).

    ReplyDelete